Monday, December 24, 2012

IT’S A DOUBLE-FEATURE FILLED WITH FRANKENTASTIC FUN!

tim-thumb

Hello, Scared Silly fans! 2012 has been quite a year. While external circumstances prevented me from writing too many reviews the last half of the year, I did end up with two fun Scared Silly-related gigs which both came out of left field.

You’ll recall that I was guest-speaker at a Halloween dinner held by the great celebrity chef Francesco Palmieri who created entrees based on recipes in Vincent Price’s cookbook (and if you don’t recall, just click here to read about that).

Now comes another great opportunity that’s right up my alley: impeccable blog-meisters Brian Solomon of The Vault of Horror and John Cozzoli of Zombo’s Closet (you remember John – he’s featured me on his site several times – once here and once here and another time here) have invited me to join them on stage at the Bijou Theatre in Bridgeport, Connecticut for a double-feature screening of Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein and Mel Brooks’ Young Frankenstein!

Abbott & Costelo Meet Frankenstein & Fiends

Of course you know I consider the Abbott & Costello romp to be the ultimate classic horror-comedy extravaganza (I doubt few would disagree) – if you want to revisit my review of the film you can do so by clicking here.

YFcast

As for Young Frankenstein, I’m a big fan of at least the first two thirds of the film, those parts that really pay attention to and lampoon the mythology of the first few Universal Frankenstein films. It’s rather brilliant and funny and with pros like Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Chloris Leachman, Madeline Kahn, Marty Feldman, Teri Garr and Kenneth Mars lending their precision timing and flair for the absurd director Brooks had it made. My favorite bit is the spoof of the blind hermit sequence from Bride of Frankenstein – I think the legendary Gene Hackman as the hermit surprised many at the time with his comedic finesse.

Midnight Marquee Actors Series Vincent Price

The double-feature screening is part of a series that Brian Solomon is running at the Bijou Theatre called BEDLAM AT THE BIJOU. He’s even subtitled this one, “Scared Silly!” Brian, John and I will be hosting and doing Q&A and trivia and the like.

Additionally, I’ll be giving away one autographed copy each of my VINCENT PRICE and ARCHIE’S WEIRD MYSTERIES books, plus I’ll have extra copies of both available for sale there.

The fun takes place this Thursday, December 27th , 2012 starting at 7PM. The theater is located at 275 Fairfield Avenue in Bridgeport, Connecticut and you can contact them at (203) 332-3228 or info@thebijoutheatre.com for more information. Click here to check the event calendar for upcoming double-doses of creature features.

Now here are the trailers for the two films we’ll be featuring Thursday – hope to see you there!




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Paul! See you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian - thanks again for putting on the show tonight and inviting me and John "Zombo's Closet" Cozzoli along for the fun! We had a terrific time!

    ReplyDelete