Monday, August 8, 2011

THE ALIENS THAT GOT AWAY...

Archie Comics

In previous posts (which you can read here and here) I mentioned recently-released comic book projects in which I played a part. I highlighted the “Archie’s Weird Mysteries” paperback collection in particular for its relevance to my “Scared Silly” project – after all, just like a typical Hollywood horror-comedy the comic misadventures I wrote based on the animated series of the same name often had Archie and his friends mixed up with monsters, mad scientists and yes, aliens!

The “Archie’s Weird Mysteries” paperback reprinted one of my favorite stories, about Archie and his friends getting mixed up in an intergalactic baseball game between two rival alien teams. The Brawnux were the champion jocks of the universe, while the Smelltoids were more adept at using their brains than their brawn.

Now comes “The Best of Archie Comics.” This is another project I had a hand in. It was released when I wasn't paying attention (I had no idea when this one was supposed to come out). It’s a whopping 400 pages (and an additional 20 if you get the hardcover) that collects stories of Archie and Archie-owned properties from every decade since the 1940s, by all the top writers and artists of each decade. PLUS it includes insights from many Archie creators and fans, and some historical text on each decade. It includes some quotes from me and I wrote much of the historical text within, but for Scared Silly fans the biggest draw may be the inclusion of a short tale I wrote as a follow-up to that intergalactic baseball game story.

Archie's Weird Mysteries Smelltoids Brawnux

Ultimately, my contributions to “The Best of Archie Comics” are just a small part of what is a massive team effort – credit is due to the great team of staff editors and designers at Archie for putting it together. Plus so many great folks and dear friends quoted within as well as stories they were involved in either as artists, writers, editors, etc. - such a huge list but including Dan Parent, Fernando Ruiz, Michael Uslan, Stephen Oswald, Suzannah Rowntree. Joe Morciglio, Mike Pellerito... heck, so, so many I don't think Blogger offers enough "character" space to mention them all but you get the idea... well done, everyone.

You can pre-order a copy of the deluxe hardcover version (releasing in October) at the bottom of this post, or find the softcover copy at your local comic shop (click here to use the Comic Shop Locator Service to find the store nearest you).

…and for more outer space silliness, here’s John Landis’ commentary of the trailer for the Three Stooges’ feature, “Have Rocket, Will Travel,” courtesy of our friends at Trailers From Hell. ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment