Thursday, March 4, 2010

THE TERROR TEMPLATE THAT GOT AWAY...

Lon Chaney Johnny Arthur Roland West

Back in this post, I discussed "terror templates" - those novels, plays and films that served to establish the tropes and trappings of the "old dark house" genre. I thought I had covered them all, but I stumbled across this one tonight and thought I would share.

Apparently actor-playwright Crane Wilbur, who penned an update of Mary Robert Rinehart's play "The Bat" to star in (and had a part in the Vincent Price film 35 years later) was inspired to write his own horror-comedy play called "The Monster." Within a year it was turned into a film with Lon Chaney and Johnny Arthur. Not too shabby.

As for me, and the reviews you expect to see here, I have been preparing several reviews but as previously noted, my current schedule is such that I haven't had time proper to fully prepare and edit them. Just know that some real goodies lie ahead including "Shivering Spooks," a silent effort from Our Gang (aka The Little Rascals); "Spooks," a 3-D scare comedy from the 3 Stooges; "The Ghost & Mr. Chicken," which I consider the last full-fledged "traditional" horror-comedy; and "Arsenic & Old Lace," Frank Capra's classic screwball horror-comedy featuring Cary Grant and Peter Lorre.

Until then, here's a clip from "The Monster" for your enjoyment:

No comments:

Post a Comment